Sunday, December 6, 2009

Arthur's Use of the "C" Word

With a name like the Miss Morgan, clearly I am female. My background is that I'm the daughter of a construction worker and I'm a big sports fan. I've had a potty mouth my entire life. So when people apologize to me for using bad language I reassure them..."Trust me. I've heard a LOT worse in my lifetime!"

One word in the English language does not enter my vernacular at any time, however. That is the "C" word that is used to describe the female genitalia. It's just very strong and the background to it is demeaning, violent and basically only used under those two circumstances. Well let me go back. There are several words the Babe Harbor Butcher won't use in her talk. The "C" word just pops out as one of these words.

All that said, why am I bringing this background. I happened to notice that our new and improved killer Trinity (although we have seen it's Quad-rinity with Dexter's sleuth work) Arthur Mitchell uses the word quite a bit. He used it with his wife at Thanksgiving (nothing says family like "Shut up, c**t.") and when he found out Christine Hill was responsible for Lundy's death.

We know his background with his sister Vera dying accidentally in the tub. Mother jumping to her death. Dad being bludgeoned to death. Clearly, Arthur was traumatized by these events as a child for certain. And I'm going to take a stab (erm, no pun intended) at what other things might have contributed to Arthur being the way he is. I'm pretty certain he was sexually abused as a child. The debate is whether by his mother or father. I would gather it's his dad given his mode to kill little boys and particular heavy violence to men. So why the violence toward women?

What would be interesting for me to see is that background, if Dexter gets curious and sees that Arthur's father was also a killer. I would not be surprised if he was responsible for someone's death and Arthur saw that. Plus he's repeating the cycle with murdering the woman in front of Christine as a little girl. Remember that Dexter teaches us the whole Nature vs Nurture argument each episode.

Arthur's violence towards women in particular and his disrespect for his wife and his two daughters with his overuse of the "C" word too is disturbing. Of course, here I am, rooting a serial killer who kills bad guys every week talking about disrespect! But I have to say that out of all the killers Dexter has seen in the last three seasons: ITK, himself, the Skinner, Arthur Mitchell's profile takes the prize of most disturbing, hands-down.

No comments: