Monday, August 19, 2013

Isn't It Romantic?

There have been several contrasts this season.  Several images of water.  Several images of Dexter, the serial killer who has always maintained an aura of control, where he is rendered weak, in a vulnerable position.

Yet, the more vulnerable Dexter becomes, the more I realize that I'm going to miss this fuckin' show when it's gone.

Dexter is usually shown on his boat.  He's usually on it by himself, taking "out the trash," as he says.  But this year has been different.  There's been a lot of shots on the water.  He was out on the boat with Vogel and Deb, bonding after saving Deb's life.  Then he saved Hannah on the boat she was on.  He was shaken, obviously, in tonight's episode, as he took out trash he wasn't expecting to (I won't give up the spoiler!!!), and at the end of the episode when he went to the doc.

The imagery of water is powerful.  What we know about Dexter is that he was a witness to a traumatic incident involving his mother that changed his life and path forever.  This caused him to live his life by the code.

But isn't the imagery of water supposed to be a metaphor for Mom?  Like we're in water, and then we are born and then we are shocked into being?

Plus with the idea that it's only women who are brought into Dexter's inner circle...

But...isn't it romantic though?  I never liked Rita for Dexter, in fact, he was so guarded with her, that he really had to hide himself.  Same with Deb, for awhile, till she got to know the real him.

I loved Lumen, and wished she was able to come back in some capacity...but I love love LOVE Hannah for Dexter.  I think just by seeing his ass (even if it is just filmed) and how connected he is to her, makes me see that she is really the one for him.  

He's not as guarded with those women, but I can only believe it's going to end badly this year.  Like with Dexter on the table or something, and I don't know if I can accept that.  When season four ended, I couldn't sleep, eat or talk about it.  My husband watched episodes with me in another room, and I couldn't bear to even LISTEN to it. 

This season is different.  It's almost like a love story.  So you know it's going to end badly somehow. 

"Every contact leaves a trace.  Everything you touch, is changed in some way. but the changes they're never what we anticipate." - Dexter Morgan

No comments: