Monday, July 8, 2013

Perfect

Wow.  I can't believe it's been FOUR SEASONS since I last posted on this site.  Since then, I've gotten married, started a business, and I have multiple personalities...on ye olde Internets, that is. 

Truth be told, I was really tormented and agitated by the way season four ended.  Rita annoyed me, but I didn't believe she should have gone out like that.  Even in season seven, I was a little tormented by how Maria LaGuerta went out...again, a character I didn't like but clearly didn't fit the story.

But this is season eight.  It's the end. We know this.  And unlike those who have fallen into the trap of "Harry's Code," I am bringing Harry's Code, the blog, back from the dead.

I need a way to honor my all-time favorite show by going out with a bang.  It seems like season eight is also tying up some loose ends.  I hope that we have a sense of closure, like Six Feet Under did years ago, yet another Michael C. Hall drama.  

See, for me, I don't like television dramas, but I am a sucker for cop/detective/forensics kind of shows.  I dislike The Walking Dead, but I do love me some Law & Order: SVU, as an example.  But Dexter, to me, will go down as one of those shows that I never feel guilty about watching.

And I certainly don't feel guilty about rooting for a serial killer.

He does kill "bad guys," after all.

Onto this season:

Dr. Evelyn Vogel.  I had a feeling that she was in cahoots with Harry when she just showed up, given her attention paid to Dexter at the first.  And I did not read any spoilers prior to this season!  My husband was not surprised by this introduction.  (Oh and now would be a good time to mention that he and I watched the season four finale with Joey Quinn...his very first episode of Dexter...and he's still around to watch it, haha).

There's something beneath the surface with her, I just can't pinpoint what.  She had a great quote about how psychopaths are a gift. I wonder what exactly she means, but she does feel a certain responsibility for the development of Dexter.  I feel like she knows this killer, but to what extent. Funny how both she and Dexter are paid to provide forensic expertise...yet were off on this one.

Yet, I can't help but note the irony.  Vogel has gotten intimately involved with the process of this new serial killer.  And Dexter told her, "I don't take requests."  In essence, Dexter has an accomplice like Sussman did in S8:E2: something that got him into trouble after the Travis Marshall kill in season six, leading into season seven.    

Outside of Dexter himself, the two characters I've liked since the beginning have been Vince Masuka and Angel Bautista.  Masuka for his perverted Lenny Briscoe-zing humor, Bautista for being the traditional cop with the heart of gold.  I always felt Bautista was a political pawn in Miami Metro, so I'm happy he's the one in charge these days.  And Masuka, don't you go changin'.

Joey Quinn and Bautista's sister, Jamie...seriously, is this relationship going anywhere?  Talk about a predictable and boring storyline.  We all know somehow, he'll end up back with Deb.  Those two idiots deserve each other.  They both annoy me.  Jamie needs to do what she does best: look pretty and keep an eye on Harrison.

Speaking of Debra Morgan...I've never been the biggest Debra fan, but her realism and accessibility have really grown on me, especially when she "saw" in season six.  Her "descent" this season, in my opinion, is a little far-fetched.  You mean to tell me a potty-mouthed cop who was mostly on the straight and narrow is now snorting coke off a dealer's ass?

Her behavior, in a way, is like a cheating spouse who wants to be caught.  She's behaving badly, so DEXTER can get caught, though.

This could be ugly.

Lastly, there are SO many directions this show could go this season.  I have to say I want the element of surprise.  But...out of the women "love interests" of Dexter, besides Lumen Pierce, I did LOVE the intro of Hannah McKay last season, essentially, the female version of Dexter.  While she doesn't exactly follow a "code," she believes that killing can be morally justified.  In my dreams, I have Dexter running off the Argentina with her, Harrison holding their hands, skipping down a street in Buenos Aires.  

Like I said, I can dream.

I wonder how soon we'll find the "real" killer, but I get the idea it will be dragged out a bit...but we only have ten more episodes.

Damn. 

2 comments:

Kristan The Warrior said...

I weep at every mention that this is the last season.

I have some predictions - but not sure if they would be appropriate to mention due to the "spoiler" issue.

Babe H. Butcher said...

You can feel free to share away! I don't like giving "spoilers" but I do like to speculate :).