Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rita Profile

Perhaps one of the most polarizing characters on Dexter is his girlfriend/soon-to-be-baby-momma Rita -- which I think it hella ironic since, I mean, we are rooting for a SERIAL KILLER to kill bad guys. I think most of us were raised with the idea that killing is bad, thou shalt not, etc etc. But here's the kicker -- Rita strikes some as annoying, whiny, and not nearly as strong as someone who would be in her place (convict ex-hubby who was killed in prison, two kids who are incredibly well-behaved despited having an abusive drug-addicted bio-dad, a decent job - well, she just lost it, but it's besides the point), but I don't mind her, personally.

What I do mind is this.

She has incredibly bad judgment in the men she chooses.

Um, possibly the understatement of the century. But I think deep-down, most of the Dexter-junkies want Rita to NOT get hurt, since it's quite obvious that there's a possibility of it happening.

But another kicker is this -- she is incredibly manipulative. We did not know what she was like during her marriage to Paul, although what we do know is that she was routinely abused and beaten, and often had to get the police involved in domestic disputes. But we also saw something amazing when her ex-Paul eventually returned. That she can be incredibly possessive and manipulative. And I think THAT is what turns the general Dexter-watching public against her.

I mean -- who didn't know that she would ultimately be knocked up with all the scenes we saw with her and Dex getting it on? And when she gave him that ultimatum about raising this child with or without him. That annoys me, personally. Besides the fact that we are all privy to the knowledge that he hunts and kills serial killers who have fell through the cracks in the system, with his suspicious behavior and what-not (going out late at night, reclusive, etc), she knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT HIM. And now they are getting married? Pshaw.

I think Rudy/ITK said it best just before he put Deb in a sleeper-hold on his boat -- so desperate to fall in love. The fact is, Dexter as appearances have it, looks and acts the part of dependable guy and Mr. Reliable with a good job and provides a living to his family.

I think it will be interesting, if we see it this season, with the shotgun wedding with Rita and Dex, is that her mother will have to show up, yes? She was suspicious of Dexter from the start. The funny thing is, I always want to disagree with my mother in real life -- but she always has that sixth-mom sense about guys who are no-good. And perhaps Rita should run away while she can. That to me would absolve her from being a wimp.

No comments: