Sunday, November 2, 2008

Why I Started This Site

Well, let me give you a little background first. I am not a big television person. I've never been one of those people who absolutely has to stay home to watch a television show. I guess with the advent of DVR and TIVO, this landscape of urgency has changed anyway.

But even with my DVR and technology that allows me to fast-forward through annoying commercials, I found one new addiction on television. An addiction that once you get started...it is incredibly hard to stop. There are no commercials, and it's 50 minutes of uninterrupted bliss.

Dexter on Showtime.

I've broken dates. I've not run critical errands Sundays just so I can be at home when the theme song comes on. I've not answered my phone. I've not answered my door.

But I'm not the only one -- Dexter does that to people. I often tell people with Showtime it's a good thing they don't watch it...because it's habit forming.

Almost like Dexter's need to take out the trash.

So why now? Well, I blog on a few different topics, and believe me they range variably from my obsession with Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall). And on Mondays, I often find that I want to read something, anything, that will allow me to think deeper about the episode. Something more than a recap or something stating an obvious fact (you know, like how everyone knew that Rita would be preggers from the focus on them doing it like drunk test bunnies in a few scenes).

I wanted to think deeper into what the show was telling me. As an example, Miguel Prado (Jimmy Smits), if you think about it, is very much like Dexter, except he dispenses justice in shall we say a more "ethical" and "morally acceptable" fashion.

Still doesn't detract from the fact that Dexter is still awesome. Not just as a show but an amazing character in general.

So why does this site differ from others? Well, besides the character analysis (for the record, I *heart* the "dirty" Mazuka), show summaries, clever analysis, predictions, victim descriptions, and other things like Dexter's relationship with Debra and his devotion to "Harry's Code."

I'd like to hear some feedback from the general Dexter fan public on what can make this site better. I imagine that in the Dexter "offseason" there might be a few tidbits here and there. But I've got three seasons to catch up on...So let's "dig in," and by dig in, I don't mean a watery grave.

No comments: